Store Manager Job Description
The Ossuary is a boutique retail shop specializing in handmade and small batch gothic clothing and jewelry. Featuring higher-end gothic couture designers and visual decor that will feel more like an experience or attraction rather than a retail shop, this new venture from the creators of Die With Your Boots On will lean heavily into funerary themes and catacomb vibes.
Manager Job Responsibilities: The boutique manager will be the leader of a small team and must have a strong presence as both a salesperson and merchandiser. This person will be expected to dress the part, representing the aesthetic and brand styles of The Ossuary, and will need to offer style guidance to the staff, as well as customers. People coming into the shop should feel that they are getting authentic "dress shop" treatment, where the staff will give hands on attention.
- Responsible for store operations, including scheduling and delegating. Leads operations by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing procedures and expectations.
- Maintains store staff by recruiting and training employees. All new hires must be interviewed and approved by the owners.
- Promotes optimum staff performance by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees. Leads with a kind but firm hand, helping the staff to grow and learn
- Adheres to scheduling budgets and analyzing variances.
- Strives to meet sales goals and sets the standard for the entire team.
- Ensures the absolute best customer service standards, goes above and beyond to gain and maintain customers who keep coming back. Identifies current and future customer needs and wants by establishing rapport.
- Ensures availability of merchandise, must be watchful of stock levels and ensure everything is visible and displayed.
- Maintains the beauty of the shop, including merchandising and styling products with artistry, ensuring garments are steamed and well-styled on racks and mannequins. Trains staff to merchandise and style. Actively makes visual changes to displays as new items arrive or to highlight slow moving items. Protects employees and customers by providing a safe and clean store environment.
- Secures merchandise by implementing security systems and measures, as well as training to staff to limit shrink. Reviews all sales activity, regularly counts inventory, and accounts for all returns/exchanges/discounts.
- Maintains the stability and reputation of the store by complying with legal requirements and meeting standards and expectations of the shop owners.
- Keeps track of all store supplies and orders items before they run out.
- May eventually be involved in social media promotion and marketing campaigns.
- Understands that the summer and fall months are extremely busy and blackout periods will be enacted in late September and throughout October.
- Able to lift 50lbs and raise arms overhead, as well as climb step stools and ladders.
- Willing and able to work at least 8 hours, with breaks.
Hours, Benefits, and Compensation: The store manager will be required to work a 40 hour week and must be willing to fill in as needed over 40 hours during crucial times. Excess work hours worked during tourist season may result in comp days to be taken in the off-season. Managers are expected to work at least 2 weekend days (Fri/Sat/Sun) and must partner with the owners for special day/time off requests to ensure coverage. There is no travel required at this time, but manager may need to occasionally visit Die With Your Boots On for meetings or inventory needs. Compensation is salaried, which is negotiable based on experience. Perks include seasonal and annual bonuses based on sales and growth, a generous company discount at The Ossuary and Die With Your Boots On, as well as an initial "uniform budget" to help ensure the manager wears the aesthetic of the shop to work. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, as well as access to mental health assistance. Manager will also have a parking space located a block away from the shop.
Retail Store Manager Qualifications and Skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Excellent salesmanship
- Superior management skills
- High level of flexibility
- Ability to adapt to different customers
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Natural talent for motivating and developing teams
Store Manager Education Requirements and Experience Preferences
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 3 years of retail management experience preferred
- Strong background in customer service and sales